November 29, 2009

'Tis the season for holiday dresses!

With my company xmas party approaching, I'm in need of something to wear, so I decided to make myself a dress.
Simplicity pattern 2549, view B with the bow from view A. Rather than making the dress all one tone, I decided to make the underbust band and bow in black to add a little something extra. I made good progress today and hope to have it done in the next couple of days so that I can make a crinoline to wear underneath.

November 8, 2009

New skirt completed :)

I finished the skirt Thursday :) however, did not end up wearing it on Friday. But YAY! New skirt!

I sewed up the side seams and top stitched the seams,finished off the waistband (stitch in the ditch) and finally hemmed and added a button/buttonhole.

November 3, 2009

Step two of new skirt

Okay, so I'm making really good progress considering the time constraints I'm working with.

Today, I got the skirt back assembled and top stitched. And I've decided to do something I've never done before.

Rather than sewing front to back and then attaching the waistband, I've decided to attach the back waistband to the back, and the front waistband to the front prior to attaching front to back at the side seams. The main reason I decided to do this is to make my life easier for when this skirt needs to be taken in (if it should ever require taking in).
Now for some rest. Maybe tomorrow I can get it finished.

Step one of new skirt

So, a little while ago, I decided that I need to wear more skirts and/or dresses. I've been stuck in a rut of jeans and beaters/hoodies for years, and it's high time I step out of my "comfort zone".

I'm going to a concert on Friday, and figured it's the perfect opportunity for the wearing of a cute outfit that includes a skirt. My job doesn't allow for a lot of time inthe evenings to get lots of sewing done, but if I can do a little bit a day, I should be ready for Friday.

I'm making McCalls pattern 5429 (the mini) with an actual hem, rather than leaving it frayed as the pattern specifies.

I didn't have a whole lot of time last night, but I managed to get the skirt front completed, icluding fly. I'm making the skirt out of denim (can't stray too far from my comfort zone the first time out :P) and using a red top stitch.

So far so good! Now back to work :)